Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mother's Day!

Last night I was rocking my baby girl to sleep and started thinking....

Growing up, and through my years as a mother I've always witnessed mothers hating Mother's Day. I guess I assumed that I better feel guilt to. Since all the women and mothers I admired hated the day, perhaps it was a day to be hated. But disliking Mother's Day always felt wrong. And I've learned to trust my gut with that feeling. So, how should I feel about Mother's Day?

First I know I love being a mother to my kids. It's a calling I dreamed of for many years and feel so blessed with the children that have been sent to me. I just LOVE it. I also know it's freaking hard. Harder then any other endeavor I've done. I study more as a mother then I ever did in college. My nightstand is stacked with parenting study material: the scriptures, "power of positive parenting",  "healthy sleep habits, happy child", and my web Md.. Each of my children have different needs and in order to meet them my reading takes up all my "me time". But I love what I'm learning. Love how empowering knowledge can be as a mother. I also know hat I have many "off" days. Many days where I fall short, lose my temper, forget important events, forgo cooking or laundry, and cry. Does that make  motherhood bad? Something I should hate? Something I should feel guilty about?

I don't think so. I believe motherhood is still something to celebrate! To rejoice in Gods greatness in creating our role as mothers! Doesn't mean perfection is achieved, but that I desire to fulfill this mighty calling each and every day. And that I praise my God for my children.

I realized Eve was named by Heavenly Father and Adam as the "mother of all living" before she ever had children. That every woman and girl on this earth was given the role as mother premortaly. That each woman, regardless of her earthly experience is already a mother in Gods eyes.  So how do we become the "Mother" that he has designed? Is it solely by barring children? I don't believe it is, though that is certainly a big part. That if we can, we are to multiply and replenish the earth. But I don't believe that those who can't have children in this life are in any way less of a mother, then those who can. I believe that when God refers to "mother" He's speaking of her heart. Her divinely designed nurturing heart. Her ability to love others. Her ability to console friends, relate to pain, comfort others, serve in her surroundings, and lift. I believe God designed each female with that nurturing ability. The world however blinds us. Makes us question this Devine design. Makes us feel less then. It's cunning really. To take the very design of our core and spread feelings of hate, guilt, and fault all over it. Satan always attacks the best things, those that are most important. So it shouldn't be any surprise that he's seemed to twist our minds on motherhood. Leading women to believe that if they can't have children, don't yet have the desire for children, or feel like their imperfectly raising their children that they should hate such a wonderful day as Mother's Day.

I am grateful to be a mother. In every sense of the word.  And I looked down at my sweet baby girl and realized I'm pretty blessed to be raising a mother too!




No comments: